While a lot of the things on her list are true - I’m definitely guilty of numbers 2, 6 and the last two - there’s got to be some benefits, right?
So seeing as both my boyfriend and I are writers, I thought I’d make another list of all the good things about dating a writer.
- You’re both super creative.
- There’s always someone willing to read your work and offer comments that are actually helpful.
- You get an editor/proof-reader for free.
- You’re guaranteed to be just as weird as each other.
- You can say you’re a murderer (because you kill your characters) without being taken literally.
- No need to explain your career choices.
- You can make stupid writing related jokes.
- You probably have a similar sense of humour so it’s easy to make each other laugh.
- You have a lot of shared interests.
- You (mostly) get each other’s references.
- You have a wide range of interests.
- You’re likely to quote random facts because you do a lot of research for your writing.
- You don’t normally have to correct each other’s spelling and grammar (except when he still can’t spell ‘definitely’ right!)
- You tend to be quite meticulous because you pay attention to detail and plan everything out way in advance.
- You might keep weird hours because you’re writing, but you won’t be alone.
- You won’t find it strange when they drop everything to write down a new idea.
- You won’t be the only one dissecting the writing of that book, film, TV show, Facebook status...
- And you also won’t be the only one thinking you could have done a better job of writing it!