When you've had a bad year, it can be difficult to see the good things that have also happened alongside the bad. That's why, after years like this, it's a good idea to sit down and take stock of the events of the past year. Reflect on what you have achieved, even small accomplishments, and remember the glimmers of good.
2016 has been a year full of ups and downs for me - but how has it been for you?
Here are just a few of the best bits of my year:
- I built further on my personal successes of 2015.
- I've had three different jobs this year and learned new skills from each of them.
- I finally got a job related to my degree, doing what I want to do in the industry I want to work in.
- I passed my driving test.
- I bought my first car.
- I learned an awful lot about myself.
- I went on holiday with some of my best friends for the first time.
- I got to see a good friend who I hadn't seen for several years.
- I spent some time with someone I should have met up with much sooner.
- I revisited some of my favourite parts of Italy and explored new ones.
- I met several incredible new people who are now firmly a part of my life.
- I had a new relationship.
- I discovered a new hobby and started geocaching.
- I completed my 2016 Goodreads reading challenge.
- I bought an oboe.
- I discovered which people who mean the most to me.
For the first time in months, I'm finally on top of all my emails, reviews, and blog posts. It's a great feeling! #amblogging #writerslife— Lorna Holland (@themaxdog) December 5, 2016
- I managed to grow my blog further.
- I explored new parts of the country.
- I got to see both of my favourite bands live in one year.
- I've been to numerous shows, events and gigs.
- I took part in my fourth gishwhes and attended a gishers meet-up in London.
- I went on holiday on a canal boat with my family.
- I launched a new project with some good friends.
- I redecorated my bedroom.
- I took part in the Clink Street #blogival and the #WYBookClub
The Fantastic Beasts soundtrack is amazing and no one can tell me otherwise #FantasticBeastsAndWhereToFindThem— Lorna Holland (@themaxdog) November 23, 2016
- I fell in love with the Harry Potter universe all over again.
- I discovered there was some good in the world after all.
See - no matter what bad things happened, it's never going to have been a completely bad year!
Now, as another year ends and a new one begins, it's time to look ahead to the future and focus on 2017. Happy New Year!
Take a moment to remember some of the best bits of your year. Then, why not share them in the comments below? I'd love to hear them!