The powerful new novel from the master storyteller - inspired by the true story of one man who might have stopped World War II.
1940. The train is under attacks from German fighters. In the darkness, sheltering in a railway tunnel, the stranger in the carriage with Barney and his mother tells them a story to pass the time.
And what a story. The story of a young man, a young soldier in the trenches of World War I who, on the spur of the moment, had done what he thought was the right thing.
It turned out to have been the worst mistake he ever could have made – a mistake he must put right before it is too late…
|Image credit: The Big Shot PR|
An Eagle in the Snow is classic Morpurgo. It's well-written and well-researched, fiction and history interwoven in the way that Morpurgo writes best. It's easily split up into sections and chapters, each focusing on a different part of the story. This makes it ideal for children becoming more confident at reading on their own.
The ending is also a big surprise, it comes with a great twist that even I wasn't expecting! This is one of those books that really makes you think, and I have the feeling it will be sticking with me for a while. Morpurgo has that style of writing that just draws poignancy from the most everyday of scenarios, and the beginning of this book is a perfect example of that.
The book deals with big themes like war and consequences by breaking them down into smaller, memorable chunks. The idea that a regular soldier had the opportunity to kill Hitler but saved him with compassion is particularly memorable. If the soldier had pulled the trigger, history would have been completely different. I think moments like these really make you think about how things turn out, and how easy it is for one small event to change the lives of millions of people.
Rating: 3 stars.
An Eagle in the Snow is available to buy now. You can find out more about the author, Michael Morpurgo, and his books on his website.
If you're feeling lucky, I've also got a copy to give away! Enter via the Rafflecopter widget below.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
NOTE: Everyone who tweeted about the giveaway BEFORE 22/11/15 - the message in the tweet was for an old giveaway but your entries will still count. The message has now been changed.
Terms and conditions:
1. Giveaway closes on 30th November 2015 at 11.59pm (GMT).
2. The prize consists of one copy of An Eagle in the Snow by Michael Morpurgo.
3. Upon confirmation of the winner's address, the prize will be posted to the winner by The Big Shot PR, NOT The Writing Greyhound.
4. This giveaway is open to UK residents aged 13 and over.
5. The winner will be randomly generated by Rafflecopter once the giveaway has ended.
6. The winner will be informed by email once the giveaway has ended.
7. The winner will have 72 hours to claim their prize. If the winner has not responded by this time, another winner will be announced.
Will you be reading An Eagle in the Snow? Let me know in the comments below!